I have just completed another flower study in acrylic. This time I chose to paint my favourite flower a Protea, or in this case, a King Protea (I am still doing a series of roses – this was just to see how it would turn out).
As I mentioned in my previous post, flowers are not my traditional subject matter. I have really been enjoying the roses so I thought it would be good to try something else.
It took me a lot longer than I thought it would, the number of individual petals and the shadows they created needed a little more attention than my usual Rose.
At first I started with a blue background, thinking it would make the flower pop, all it did however was over power the pink petals, so instead, I opted for a textured white through which you still get a hint of the blue.
I’m glad I gave it a go, and I’m more or less happy about how it turned out but I do feel that it’s not 100% my style. I probably will be painting a Protea again but in a completely different composition and colour palette.
I did however relearn the value of experimenting and trying new subject matters. No painting is ever a waste, it’s all a series of practice, a practice I thoroughly enjoy. This painting might not be my greatest pride, but it is a piece of the puzzle and a step in the journey.
Let me know what you think in the comments below, or simply give a like!